Double the delish factor in this summer vegetable tart with extra cheese in the filling and crust.
The ingredient of Cheddar-crusted summer vegie tart
- 4 (500g) zucchinis
- 1 red capsicum
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra, to grease
- 10 grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 180g tub cherry bocconcini, drained, patted dry
- 60g cheddar
- 125g cold unsalted butter
- 80g cheddar
- 250g (1 2/3 cups) plain flour, plus extra, to dust
- 1 clove garlic
- 40g (1/4 cup) pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
The instruction how to make Cheddar-crusted summer vegie tart
- To make cheddar pastry: Using the claw technique (see notes) cut butter into 1cm pieces. Using a box grater, coarsely grate cheddar, then place in a food processor with chopped butter and flour. Pulse 6 times in 5-second bursts or until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2 tablespoons iced water and pulse 5 times in 5-second bursts or until mixture starts to come together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface, knead gently until smooth, then shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove pastry from fridge 15 minutes before rolling to soften it slightly.
- To make pesto: Preheat oven to 180C. Place garlic on a chopping board, then hold a small chefu2019s knife so the blade lies flat over the garlic. With a flat palm and fingers stretching upwards, press down firmly on the blade to split the skin and flatten the garlic (get an adult to help you). Place pine nuts on an oven tray and roast for 3 minutes or until golden. Cool. Process garlic, nuts, parmesan, basil and oil in a food processor until smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl and cover surface of pesto with plastic wrap to prevent basil oxidising (going black). Makes 2/3 cup.
- To chargrill vegetables: Line an oven tray with paper towel. Grease a chargrill pan or barbecue with extra oil and preheat over high heat. Using the claw technique, cut zucchinis into 5mm-thick slices on the diagonal. Cut off top and bottom of capsicum and discard, then cut into quarters. Remove seeds. Place zucchinis and capsicum in a bowl, add 2 tablespoons oil and toss to combine. Cook zucchinis, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes each side or until charred. Transfer to tray. Cook capsicum, skin-side down, rotating, for 8 minutes or until skin is blistered and blackened. Place in a snap-lock bag and seal. Cool. Remove from bag and peel off skin. Using the claw technique, cut capsicum widthwise into 5mm-thick slices.
- To make filling; Using the bridge technique (see notes), cut tomatoes in half. Combine zucchinis, capsicum, bocconcini and half the tomatoes in a bowl.
- To roll pastry: Line a 33cm pizza tray or large oven tray with baking paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out pastry on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper to a rough 33cm round. Carefully lift pastry off paper and place on lined tray.
- To assemble tart: Preheat oven to 200C. Using a box grater, coarsely grate cheddar. Spreadu00bccup pesto over pastry round, scatter with cheddar, then top with vegetable mixture, leaving a 2cm border. Carefully fold and pleat pastry border over filling to partially cover; donu2019t worry if itu2019s not a perfect round. Scatter top with remaining tomatoes. Bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges, then drizzle with remaining pesto to serve.
Nutritions of Cheddar-crusted summer vegie tartcalories: 1030.329 calories
calories: 78 grams fat
calories: 33 grams saturated fat
calories: 56 grams carbohydrates
calories: 10 grams sugar
calories: 24 grams protein
calories: 349 milligrams sodium